Wednesday 12 September 2012

Dinner.. Mmmm..

Here are some photos of some of our previous dinners.

I tried a new recipe for doing tempura, but it didn't work out as I had planned. The batter wasn't crispy as it should've been. We were also missing a thermometer so it was a bit hard to tell where the oil was at. The broccoli ones were the best though!
Tempura
 We had some leftover eggplant and mushrooms so Sam made some yakitori skewers.. These were really good!
Yakitori (grilled chicken with eggplant and shiitaki mushrooms)
 Tamagoyaki - rolled japanese omelet. I really like this dish as it's not just plain egg but egg mixed with a little bit of dashi and sugar. You cook a thin layer roll it up, add some more egg to the pan, roll it up and so and so forth. Made it once or twice in Sydney after we found a tamagoyaki pan at Tokyo Mart at Northbridge plaza. The pan is rectangular with 3 straight sides and a curved edge to roll the finished product out of the pan. You can get them everywhere and for a good price! =D They're a good filler for bento!
Tamagoyaki
Tamagoyaki pan

We found a good recipe for teriyaki chicken at norecipes.com .
Teriyaki chicken
First tried tsukemen and Ichiban Boshi and loved it! Decided to make some here and it turned out surprisingly well. Braised a slab of pork belly for about 4 hours in a broth (I kind of made it up with two recipes in mind.. I hope I can recreate it =S). It was one of the tastiest bits of pork I think I've eaten! Made some marinated soft boiled eggs to go with it.
Tsukemen and gyoza

Tsukemen dipping soup
 We made dumplings (chinese style ones) back in Sydney from scratch and it usually took a while. Made some gyoza with some premade wrappers and it is SOO much quicker! These are the first gyoza we made where we randomly put together some ingredients and it was really good! Num num num...
Cook me!

Eat me!

2 comments:

  1. Do I see cold soba? My new favourite. It sounds like you are having a deliciously good time :D

    ReplyDelete